Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sick... :P

Sick... :P

Our necks are skinnier and our suits are a bit looser.
Him especially because he had more to lose. But yeah!
This has by far been the most exciting week of my ENTIRE mission!!!  Every day was like a different type of rollercoaster from a different planet of excitement!!!!  I'm just kidding. This week has been extremely boring and I'll explain why :)

On Tuesday we had conference with Elder D. Todd Christopherson, which was awesome!  He was super cool and nice and answered a lot of questions.  After the conference was over, we got to take pictures and say hi to other missionaries.  I found Dustin Rector and took a pic with him, but with his camera, so he has to send that to me.  Then I met up with Elder Wedekind and Elder Kreling (who was leaving for his house the next day).  Afterwards we all left for the bus station to head back to Trindade.
Our pic with an Apostle!  Im in the 3 row to the top 2nd to the left.  This is the whole Fortaleza East Mission!

When we arrived in Fortaleza, Elder Rodrigues was feeling really sick and when we returned to Trindade on Wednesday, we found out he had Dengue.  A disease pretty common here in Brazil.  But it can be very dangerous if not taken care of (especially for Americans).  But by Friday, he was already feeling better. And after 2 days of waiting in the house all we wanted to do was work.  But then... BOOM! I got the flu. The flu? In the middle of Brazil, I got the flu.  I thought the flu was like, extinct here... Anyways, there went 2 more days, then on Sunday, I woke up with a rash covering every inch of my body! I'm not exaggerating either. Every inch!  President said I got Dengue.  But! He’s a doctor and knows how to treat this kind of thing. So I'll bee fine.  The biggest problem is that I can’t work for THREE DAYS!  We worked ZERO days last week and have another 3 this week... Blah!!!  But with all this we actually almost baptized this week. Almost. like, almost...
[This is disappointing, on my camera my face is super red, but on the computer I just look handsome like normal... maybe if you zoom in you'll see it, but these aren’t zits.  My face was actually super clean this day.]

So that's my week.  Not much going on, but this Sunday I can call at any time in the day, so I'll coordinate with Dad. 

I love you guys, and I'm excited to talk with y’all this Sunday!

Elder Biggs

This'll pretty much just be pictures...

Hey, its been awhile! yeah...  Ok, so I'll try to give you guys a run down of this week without repeating too much from yesterday.

This is how I study. Messy!
The beginning of this week I was still sick and had to stay in the house until Wednesday.  Elder Rodrigues [Hodrigues] had permission to leave with a member and I had permission to stay in the house alone.  That was long and super boring.  One day I slept from noon until 9:30, then 10-6:30 the next morning.  And after this felt great, full of energy, then after standing for like 10 minutes I was already exhausted.  So that was pretty lame :/

Anyway, I don’t remember if I said this yesterday, but Milton the veteran that we baptized, he did attend church to be confirmed last week and we were nervous that he doesn’t want more, or doesn’t want to come to church anymore, but we found out after a couple days that his wife died.  She got really sick one day and before the sun came up the next day she passed away.  It was really hard to see this good friend of our so sad.  We were luckily able to talk to him about the plan of salvation and comfort him.  And right now he’s MUCH better. He doesn’t have kids or anyone else in his life and said that his new family is the church.  That we and the members are his family now.  We confirmed him yesterday, and it’s amazing to see how the gift of the Holy Ghost is already helping him.  He's gone from super sad to "Never Better."

Us with Wedja and her 2 kids Anna Louisa and Bruno!
The only other big update is we finally baptized our investigator Wedja.  Me and Elder Young found her and her BF on Feb 15th! And after tons of work, trying to marry them, him falling away and moving, she finally told him that they will get married or break up, because she NEEDS to get baptized. He agreed butt the next he day said no.  So, she broke it off! (We didn’t have anything to do with the break up btw).  Then we told her that we'll need to wait for a couple weeks, just to see.  But on Saturday we felt very strong that she’s ready. We invited her to be baptized the next day and asked if she felt ready for tomorrow, and she said "Im ready today!" Now she told us that she has never been happier, that her 7 and 5-year-old kids will serve missions, she'll marry someone in the temple, and she'll help us baptize her whole family!  We're super psyched!

The cover I made for my companion "Só mais um” (just one more) 
–since this will be his last planner…
Anyway, that was my week!  I'll send a bunch of pics because the internet is actually pretty fast today! I love you guys, talking yesterday was super fun and actually very motivating.  I was nervous that Id be all trunky afterwards, but it actually had the opposite effect on me!  So thanks!

Elder Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment