Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Saturday, October 31, 2015

October 2015 in Castelão

12 October, 2015

Frozen Hot Chocolate

This last week had some interesting stuff happen.  I will try to send pictures with this:
Wednesday we got home and Elder Da Hora went to use the bathroom.  While he was "busy" a rat ran from the corner into our room.  We then spent the next 10 minutes trying to kill it, which we finally did by throwing a flip-flop at it.  Here, if you find a rat you have got to kill it, or it might get other people sick and kill them.  It was a cute little guy, but, he had to go.  This is the 2nd rat we’ve killed here.  (I wont send it, but I totally took a picture)

About a week ago we stopped by a soccer field and watched a group of kids playing soccer for a bit (missionaries cant play soccer, and no one here plays basketball, so that’s lame).  But we ended up teaching them and a couple of them are looking really good.  We talked with the family of one of them who is also looking pretty good.  This is a picture of Martinez (Mar-cheenz) who I call Tony for no reason.

We also had a mission conference this week with a special guest.  And when we arrived there, it was President Swensen!  From the MTC!  And another cool thing, is that President Swensen was President Fusco's Mission President!  So it was really cool to see the two of them together.
Then after the conference, I decided it was time!
I made frozen Hot Chocolate and Oh Boy! Was it good!  Everyone except Elder Da Hora liked it (which was good for us because we got to have more) but it was super cool. The guy in the middle is Elder Amaral our new District Leader who is super cool!  He likes to think about crazy stuff like me, so we get along really well.  and the other is Elder Rameirez from Equador.  He's super crazy sometimes and super quiet sometimes, we get along pretty well also!

The other day we also got to paint a big wall.  That’s all I really got to say about that, but it was fun.

But that was my week!  The transfer ended yesterday so now starts a transfer really special.  3 days before the transfer ends will mark one year!  Me and Wedekind and I are excited!  I love you guys and will talk to you next week!

Elder Biggs




_________________________

19 October, 2015

Internet for Just 40 Minutes Now...

Hey, so missionaries have been doing bad stuff on the internet so President Fusco is cracking down on everyone.  For the next 3 weeks we only have 40 minutes of internet time, and if things don’t get better in 3 weeks it’ll be 15 minutes, then 3 more weeks it’ll just be letters.  But it'll probably stay at 40 minutes.  President said that he couldn’t do that to our moms.

So the biggest news is that after emailing last week, we got a phone call that said that Elder Da Hora was transferred.  He left about an hour later and I stuck with Elder Amaral and Rameirez (our roommates) for the next 2 days.  My new comp arrived from Crato Tuesday night at 11:30.   His name is Elder Calixto (Cal-ee-stow), hes Brazilian and has 8 months on the mission, which means I'm senior *what what*  He's pretty much Mr Bean.  So we get along really well.  He really is though the goofiest little guy that Ive ever met.  He's 21 and is the only member in his family.

As for things that happened this week, we've been finding lots of new people to teach and baptize (we've got a few people getting ready to get baptized this week).But really the only thing worthy of note is that yesterday we got robbed.  These 2 drunk guys assaulted us (with a finger gun) and we'd just leave but they had me by the hand and had Elder Calixto's bag before we had a chance to do much of anything.  They just took our cell phone from 2001 but it really leave us annoyed.  Today we had a conference and President laid down the law and cut our internet.  Also, while leaving I ran into Sister Nevin!  She didn’t know Portuguese yet so we talked while walking back to the bus stop.  It was cool.

Anyway, there's my 40 minutes.  I love you guys and will talk to you next week!

Elder Biggs
Me with Sister Nevin
(Sister Nevin is Daynen's cousin's cousin- small world!)
___________________________

26 October 2015

One Year From Today

One year from today at about 10am (give or take 2 hours) all of you will be waiting at the airport for a tall(er than Tayte), super skinny Elder in a dirty suit.  Elder Wedekind is sitting next to me right now and told me that we'll be heading home on October 25th, 2016, and that we'll be arriving one year from today!  So... YEAH!  We're not trunky!

Anyways, this week went pretty well!  We've been working really really hard.  Remember how everyone said the Trindade is the worst area in the mission?  Well everyone is now saying that the Castelão stake is the worst stake in Fortaleza, and that the Castelão ward is the worst ward in the stake.  So we're trying to change that.  We're working with 4 couples right now who will start the month-long process of marriage next week.  So hopefully here in a month we'll have 8 baptisms!  This week we taught the owner of Milo, the dog who ate my foot, and she was baptized!  I have a goal to baptize 6 more people before I hit 1 year.  So it'll be crazy.

Speaking of working hard.  One thing we like to do pretty much everyday is pass by the grocery store here and go to the little snack-bar (I don’t remember the actual name) in the back and buy 2 Reais of food and 1 liter of Coke in he glass bottle.  Its a good way to relax and its only R$4 per day.
Well, I'm gonna head out with the whole 40 minutes thing.  I love you guys and will see you in one year.  *what what*

Elder Biggs

There wont be pictures today because either the computer or my sd card is broken.  Lets hope its the computer...
__________________________

2 November, 2015

Halloween Week
So I had completely forgotten that this week was Halloween until Makenna told me last Monday.  I was like, "Oh Yeah!"  Here they don’t celebrate Halloween very much, but the Brazilian equivalent to Day of the Dead today.  But on the bright side, Christmas season started yesterday so we totally put up our missionary Christmas tree (I'll try to send a picture but I'm not sure I'll be able).

So on Tuesday, we had a Seventy visit our mission.  Elder Campos.  He talked with us about a bunch of stuff, we had lunch, then after lunch he started talking about something really important.  He said that the 70 has a training with the Apostles a week before every General Conference.  And usually they all talk about different stuff, but this year they ALL talked about one thing.  The Sabbath.  Elder Campos showed us Exodus 12:13 (switch the word token for sign), and Exodus 31:12-13 (in Portuguese token and sign are the same word).  Basically the destroying angel is out and about now like how he was in Egypt, and in those days the sign protecting everyone was the blood on their door, but now its the Sabbath.  So I'm gonna really make sure that you guys keep the Sabbath day holy because IM the first born and I don’t wanna die ;)

But after receiving this we shared it with one member who then held a family home evening and told everyone, who in testimony meeting and all the other classes shared again, then in Ward council everyone shared again.  Everyone here is really getting excited about the Sabbath, its actually really cool!

As for other stuff that happened this week, that’s really about it.  I went on splits with my DL who lives with us, Elder Amaral. He's super cool and has the same voice as Wacko!  Its cool, I'll try  to send a video one day!

I love you guys and am still trying to get used to this 40 minutes of internet. BYE


Elder Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment