Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Monday, November 30, 2015

November 2015 and the One Year Mark!

9 November 2015

SEND MORE PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!

So last P-day we invited Elder Wedekind and his comp to finally make Missouri Cookies.  I was way nervous to mess up but it actually turned out REALLY good!  And the best part is that I only used half of the peanut butter!  So I can make it again!  But send more, because that was good! 

Other than that this week has been a pretty good week.  We've been working like crazy and having lots of success.  We have a few rules here from President that are 1, mark 4 baptismal dates every day.  And 2, invite 40 people to church on Friday and Saturday.  Last week we invited 40 people and had lots of people at church.  This week we worked crazy hard to mark 4 dates every day and because of that were blessed to meet tons of new people.  But we didn’t invite a lot people to church, and because of that we had almost no one at church, which ruined a TON of the dates (because you need to go to church two times before baptism).  We're learning in a very real way to be exactly obedient.  President told me today that I need to be 100% obedient starting today.  Which I am to everything in the handbook, but definitely can improve in the counsel that President gives.

One other cool thing to add.  We marked a date with this kid who seemed a little emo, but whatever.  Then after we marked the date, another (raging fruit basket) comes in, kisses him, then leaves.  And we're like, dang it, he's gay.  But we're still teaching him, so Ill let you know how that goes.  But wait there’s more.  We found 2 lesbians while knocking on doors who are atheists.  But  their super cool, and found the Book of Mormon really interesting.  It’s cool because I’ve had tons of atheist friends so I knew how to explain things to them. 

Alright, 40 minutes is up, but I love you guys and will talk to you next week! 
(6 weeks til Christmas)

Elder Biggs 
_______________________________

16 November 2015

Good Week

This was a pretty good week.  Already the 5th of the transfer, which means next week someone might be transferred.  In our house there is me and Elder Calixto, Elder Amaral and Elder Ramirez.  In this instance, I'm Elder Johnson, and Calixto is Elder Vanpelt from the Best two years.  Then Elder Amaral is one of the coolest missionaries Ive ever met who is also our District leader, and Elder Ramirez is basically Barney from the Andy Griffith Show.  So, yeah!
 
Last P-Day, me and Amaral played ping pong just about all day, until it turned into Mortal-Combat-Ping-Pong.  That was fun until we both hurt ourselves (seriously...).  Another cool thing was that we had headed to a favela to teach someone and their grandpa had been burned their trash (which is normal here) so naturally we helped (see first picture). Wednesday was Elder Ramirez' birthday so me and Calixto went home about 10 minutes early to set up a surprise party for him.  Cake, candles, coke, Christmas tree, it was cool!

So this week we had been teaching a couple young men when their sister and 2 of her friends showed up.  One of the friends told us that she was baptized, had been praying and thinking the day before what God wanted her to do, and she found us.  We told her that she had to come back to church and that her sister (one of the other girls had to be baptized.  They both went to church yesterday and she is excited to be baptized!

So that was my week written in like 40 seconds!  Oh, one more thing.  Here in Brazil the sewage isn’t under ground in a lot of places but just flows on the side of the road (gross right?).  Anyways almost a year has past and I have never step or tripped in the gutter. Well what do you know it?  2 days ago we're leaving a house and FWOOP! my foot falls in the gutter and I fall flat on my face!  I ripped my pants on the right leg and hurt my knee, but we were in a hurry, so I just kinda jumped up and we kept going.  Good stuff :)   And yes, I washed my shoe :P
Alright I gotta go. I love you guys and I'll talk to you in 5 weeks!

Elder Biggs
Fire!  The fire actually got so big and so hot that 1) I wasn’t able to get any closer, and 2) the neighboring buildings fire alarm went off.  It was AWESOME!
Me with Hulk.  I know we look alike, but Im the one with the zits.
_________________________________

23 November 2015

One Year!

Me with Hulk. I know we look alike, but Im the one with the zits.
So this last week I finally hit the one year mark!  It was super cool because Elder Wedekind is here in the same district.  A member in his ward invited us to her house for dinner and we had barbeque and burned a shirt (that Wedekind found in his house).   Also I discovered that the rule of the mission isn’t that you cant EAT Oreos, just that you cant buy them with mission money.  So I bought R$10 of Oreos which won me a free Oreo BAG!!!  Its awesome, because its a bag, but with Oreo!  Im not sure Ill be able to send pictures, but I'll try.   


The other thing, I was walking down the street a couple weeks ago and found a shop selling movies.  And in the front of the shop were a bunch of movie posters including one of the Avengers (in Portuguese: Os Vengadores: Era de Ultron)  I asked how much and she said R$5.  SO I was like, I'll come back tomorrow. Well the next day, we returned and they had moved locations to a place that I didn’t recognize.  Well on Thursday were walking down the street (me still sad about the poster) when we come across a new store selling the same thing. It actually took me a minute to put two and two together before I realized it was the same store :P  So I totally bought it!  OH MY GOSH Its pretty cool. Hanging over my bed right now :D

A couple other things, they cut our power on Monday, so we went a few days without energy.  That was cool, sleeping without a fan to keep the mosquitoes away.  Another thing was that we had interviews with President.  Now this is rare, Ive only had 3 interviews with him in 1 year (excluding the first day in the field).  It was really cool, and afterwards we had a training with him.  When we started the interview, President Fusco said that he was sick, I was too,  and afterwards I ended up getting really sick.  Im not sure what it was exactly.  Probably just the cold (for the millionth time.) ut Im still sick and my voice is crazy weird.  But gotta work, so, doesn’t really change anything.

The only other thing is that we baptized this week. I think I talked about this last week, but 2 girls found US in someone’s house and said that one was already a member and the other was baptized, but lost the records, so we went ahead, reactivated one and baptized the other.  They're both super excited to come back to church, it feels like 2 baptisms.

Anywho, Im just about out of time.  I love you guys and will talk to you next week!

Elder Biggs
____________________________________

30 November 2015

Surprise

So this week has got a couple surprises. Tuesday, the package arrived which I opened and read all the letters.  Thank you so much, I really liked it.  I didn’t open any of the presents yet, they'll wait until Christmas.

Elder Rodrigues and I
The other thing.  I received a phone call from our zone leaders that Elder Calixto was being transferred, and that I was going to train!  So we headed over to the stake center here and found a big group of new missionaries including lots of Americans and another Elder Rodrigues.  Anyways, we did a lot of training without know who our comps would be and I slept with them at the mission house.  I was called the big brother because I was the oldest missionary in the house.  The next day, we arrived at the stake center and they announced the companions.  I was one of the first ones < "Elder Biggs will train Elder... Rodrigues"  And I was like, "No WAY!" So I now have 2 Elder Rodrigueses (Remember, Hod-ree-gez).  Anyways, training is really hard, but its also really cool.  He's a lot like me, having a little hard time adjusting but is doing ok.  He was with his family just 3 weeks ago, so its a little different for Americans who already have a month down.

Our baptism this week, Wesley, who was baptized by his uncle

A couple other cool things.  Our Zone Leader Elder Padilla went home this last week so our new ZL is Elder Camargo!  We had a great chat about his son (who he trained) Trindade, and how to train and stuff.  Super cool.

Also, we found a pug, like super pug, like all those rolls and stuff, at a investigators house, and his name:  Mike!  They even called him Mikey!  I tried to take a picture but we ran out of time...
Also, we were eating lunch and there was something a little strange about it.  I asked and they told us what we were eating, and guess what it was.  Pork Blood!  Like the kind that Rhett and Link ate.  It was pretty nasty, but I ate 2 times anyway. 

One more thing.  Last night, we were heading home and another drunk dude with 2 other drunk guys tried to rob us last night.  hey were like pass you hone and your watches, and we were just kina like, he doesn’t even have a gun.  So I said ok, then we took off running.  When we got home we found Amaral and Ramirez and told them, yeah we almost got robbed again, but I just barely got this new cell phone, I will not give it up again!    So yeah good stuff.

Ok, Gotta go,  Love you guys and I'll talk to you next week!

Elder Biggs

-Elder Rodrigues and I

-Our baptism this week, Wescley, who was baptized by his uncle

No comments:

Post a Comment