Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Monday, January 5, 2015

1st week in the field... sorta...

Hey guys! Thanks for all the emails, they're super nice to read.
Crazy it snowed in Mesa. I have so little time today because the
internet here is outragously slow.  But I'll try to update you as best
as I can.

I just got into my area, today.  I finally met my comp, Elder Young.
He's from Utah, seems pretty cool, very hard working and speaks 95%
Portuguese, which is good, but, I can only understand him 5% of the time :)

After we left the MTC, we flew to Fortaleza, had dinner with
President Fusco and his wife (really cool btw), and then the next 2
days were training.  Everyone's (about 8 other missionaries) trainers
came to Fortaleza to pick them up, but E Young is a Branch President
(which is SUPER rare, he's the only missionary-branch President) so he
couldn't make it.  The following day I tagged along with one of the
Assistant to the President, Elder Hershberger, and taught about 14
lessons.  I commited 2 people to baptism, no big deal :P.  But the same
day I was made fun of by 2 girls about my age, and another inactive girl because of my Portuguese.  We commited her to come to church still
though!  That day was really fun, and really tiring.

After that, me and another compaionship took a bus to Juazeiro
(8:30pm-6:30am) and stayed there Sunday night.  Then this morning, I
took a bus by myself to Trindade, and waited for about 20 minutes in
the street for Elder Young. I couldn't help but think of The Best Two
Years when they find kirby Heyborn and all of his luagage at the train
station.

Anyways, I'm doing good.  I'm really excited, even more nervous, and
am constatnly car sick for some reason, but I'm holding up.  I can see
what people mean when they say the first few months are super hard,
but I'm gonna push throuh :) This is absolutly nothing like Best Two
Years though, or Dad's mission.  Schedule is wake up, study, lunch,
teach ALL DAY, 20+ 15 minute lessons, then get home at 9:30. Everyday.
So I'll definitly know how to work by the time i get home!

Again, thanks for all the pictures and emails.  I'll be sure to let
you know about how my mission is when it actually... starts :)  Love
you guys!


Elder Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment