Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Last Week in MTC and off to Fortaleza


On Christmas we were able to talk to Daynen for 30 min.  It was fun to chat to him and visit for a short time.  At that time we found out that he was the only missionary to not receive an actual letter while in the MTC.  Whoops.  **Bad missionary parent alert!!**

Today Elder Biggs was able to hop on a 3 1/2 hour flight to Fortaleza and officially be out in the field.  He has been ready and excited for the change from the MTC.  Now it's time to see if he really learned the language.  He will love to get any letters :)  He will be sending home some pictures and we will upload them to a photobucket account for anyone who wants to see them.
His last cookie goodie bag for his district while at the MTC
Here is his last letter after we were able to speak with him on Christmas day:

It was super nice to talk to you guys yesterday.  Don't worry about not spending letters or stuff to the MTC, it really is ok, you sent milkshakes instead ;)  I'm really missing Charlies right now, and Baskin Robbins.  I'm not feeling homesick, but I do wish that there was a Charlies and a Baskin Robbins here!
Sounds like Christmas was fun, Dad sent me some pictures and it looked cool!  Gus looks so different I didn't even recoginize him!  And it was fun to talk to you guys, even though its only been 5 weeks, it feels like its been FOREVER since I left.  
Anyways, everyone is really excited to leave in 4 days.  I'm pretty nervous about the language and who my comp will be, but I'm not too worried.  I'm excited to actually be working and serving people. So far, its been hard to lose yourself in the workwhen theres no work to be doing.  But, it sounds like there will be not enough time in the day to teach everybody who wants it.  There aren't any other missionaries going to Fortaleza, but there are a lot from Fortaleza.  And every time I mention my mission, they yell "Batizmo!" and tell us about how missionaries only get a chance to teach 2 lessons because people want to get baptized so fast.

So I'm excited, but I am taking this with a grain of salt.  I'm not sure what to expect, other than hot. 
 Ive also been told that its not actually THAT hot and that the rain is really nice.  But we'll see. So I guess Ill let you know when I get my first P-Day, which may not be for a while...  Thanks for the pictures and for writing, these emails, really help me through the repetition of life at the MTC.! Ill be sure to send you guys some, first chance I get!
Elder Biggs

Last Pizza Party that another missionary in his district was given by his family.  
So nice for them to share the love!
Thank you kind stranger :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment