Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Monday, February 29, 2016

February and Yet Another New Area....

11 February 2016

Carnaval again, and Sick... again...



Well Carnaval is here again.  Its not as crazy here as it was in Trindade.  Just everybody on their porches dancing and drinking.  So... its cool.  We ran into a cool family that was taught everything by the missionaries about a year ago, and 2 of them want to be baptized this Sunday.  So thats pretty cool!

We've also been teaching 3 couples, two who are our neighbors and another who lives way far away, who are super cool too.  One of which has the cutest little dog ever!

Other than that, theres not really much else to say.  There is only one place that we can use to send emails and the internet is very slow so we cant send pictures :/  The only other thing that happened is that on Tuesday, the Sisters all got a virus and were SUPER sick.  Elder Gomes da Silva and I spent the whole day running errands for them, and buying stuff for them.  Then when we woke up yesterday we also started throwing up.  That was why we didnt write yesterday, because we were in the hospital.  They told me that I needed a shot, so I was like, Ok...  Then they told me lay on my stomach and where was the shot?  On the butt... What the heck?  Is that normal Mom?  Because since that Ive been having trouble sitting right... Ouch.  Then right after me a little 8 year girl had the same thing and didnt say anything, made me look like a baby :P  But yeah, today Im pretty sick too, but the others are feeling better.

Welp, thats about it.  I'll talk to you guys next week (in like 4 days) and I love all you guys!

Elder Biggs

Someday.....
_________________________________

16 February, 2016

Well You Guys Already Know…..

So Sunday, we were all super worried about being transferred.  Nobody wanted to leave.  Everyone was certain (including me) that at least I was going to stay. But on Sunday night I received a phone call from President Fusco:

"Who’s talking?"

"elder Biggs"

"Elder, are you keeping the commandments?"

"Yes President"

"Have you done anything, or are doing anything wrong that would make me very very disappointed?"

"No President?"

"Ok then, Elder Biggs, you’re being called to be Zone Leader.  Do you accept?"

"I accept."

"Congrats Elder, the Assistants will call you here in a bit"

Bye Elder Gomes da Silva
I hung up and Elder Gomes da Silva asked me what happened and I just kinda got sad, and said that I was being transferred...  I got all packed up (I'm getting better at that btw) and the next day we headed to the bus stop.  Other than me, Sister Moon, a Sister who arrived with Elder Rodrigues and reminds me a TON of Reygan, was also transferred.  So we headed out and last night I met up with my new Companion, Elder Belbin!  Elder Belbin has a lot more time on the mission than me and trained Elder Niu, my Tongan friend.  We’ve already been in the same district when I was back in Trindade so we're already good friends.

But yeah, that’s about all I got for you guys today.  I also discovered today (when you told me) that Sister Nevin is in my zone, so that’s cool! I have to buy a card reader because this lan house doesn’t have them, so no pictures today :( But next week I'll be sure to send a bunch.  I love you guys!

Elder Biggs
________________________________

22 February, 2016

So... Maybe I forgot to tell you guys...

I could’ve sworn that I told you guys where I am last week, but apparently not...  I'm back in Fortaleza, in a neighborhood called José Walter.  Its pretty close to Castelão.  There really isn’t a good reference point becasue our area is very small and is pretty much just favella.  But its cool.

Elder Belbin (He doesn't look like Matt Smith in this pic
but I will try to take a better one here in a bit.)
Elder Belbin is my comp and is ending his mission this transfer.  So he'll be my 3rd comp to end his mission with me.  He is from New Zealand!  And no, he doesn’t have an accent anymore.  He has the same accent that I have.  half American, half Brazilian.  We've become very good friends in this last week.  We joke with each other, but also feel comfortable with one another enough to talk about stuff.  He looks a lot, almost exactly, like Matt Smith.  And probably normally has an accent like him too.  He’s 20 and is from an all Mormon family too.  So yeah, we get along really well and he’s teaching me how to be a better missionary.

The ward here is José Walter 4 ward, in the Sul stake.  It’s a small ward that is running on hard times.  But we've already gotten to know the bishop really well and the Ward mission leader.  (This is the first time on my mission that Ive had a Ward mission leader).  Elder Belbin arrived here 2 weeks before me, and was with an Elder Occon, a missionary who served 7 months in the Gilbert Arizona mission waiting for his Visa.

Bye Elder Amaral
Being Zone leader is pretty cool, but I'll need to see a little bit more before I can really tell you how it is.  But one thing that I can say is that time is PASSING by fast.  Elder Amaral (who went home last week) told me that after 1 year, the transfers start flying by.  And my time in Limoeiro was so fast that I cant even believe it.  After, I was talking to him and he told me that that is exactly how it feels.  So... It wont be long now.  I discovered that the day I will leave here will be on October 19th.  And it’ll only be me and Elder Wedekind on the plane.  So only 8 more months. D:

Alright, I need to get going.  There was a meeting for all the zone leaders with President today and P-day is already ending.  So I'll talk to you guys next week!

Elder Biggs
________________________________ 

29 February, 2016

Sweet, I’m 20 Now!
My Birthday Suit!
Alright!  So how’s it going? Good? Good!  This last week we worked like crazy!  In our daily planners there is a plan, and a backup plan for every half hour.  And we made an additional 2 backup plans for every half hour.  4 plans for 30 minutes.  We've been pretty wasted these last few days.



We had a mission council this week and President has been telling us that the only thing that will make us feel better is work.  And we're-a-working.  my week has really just been that.

Some cool things that Ive learned this week is how to Gospel of Christ (faith, repentance, baptism, Gift of the holy ghost, and endure to the end) is more than stuff that we do, its a way to live.  Its this that allows all of us to change, and to be better.  We all have things about us that we want to change.  The gospel helps us do that, and to be a person, ore like Jesus Christ.

Benjamin, our baptism this week
Anyways, this week we baptized a 22 year old man named Benjamin.  He is from Africa!  Studying here in Brazil.  He's super cool and always says the pray in his cool African language.

Anyways, I gotta go.  I love you guys  and I'll talk to you next week!

Elder Biggs





This is what I see of all the time (because we are always on
each others side) and I think he looks a lot like Matt Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment