Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Monday, February 1, 2016

January in the North Lemon

18 January, 2016

2nd Week

Being in a district of ONLY sisters, you find yourself waiting a lot of the time...
This week started with us leaving the Lan house to go straight home, pack up, and head to Fortaleza for a mission council that is held once a month.  Tuesday morning was the council, which was really cool.  Just the zone leaders there….and me :)
Here in Limoeiro, things are pretty awesome.  It’s really hot here.  Way hotter than Fortaleza, but not as hot as Arizona.  This place is really cool.  It’s actually a cute little town where everything is perfect. It’s like a Brazilian Mayberry.  It’s awesome.  And working here is really cool too.  It’s very hard finding success here, but with the spirit guiding, its a whole lot easier.

Elder Gomes da Silva and I are pretty good friends at this point.  He is really funny and everybody loves him, but he works hard too.  I think that’s a really good aspect about him that I will try to apply which is that he is very cool, but he doesn’t let that get in the way of doing what he has to do.  Unlike other missionaries and companions who are super cool, but worry more about being liked than working for the Savior.

The group here is moving along.  President opened a couple of cities about 2 years ago and all but this one are branches now.  Just this one that is still a group.  But this last week I interviewed a man to receive the priesthood and gave him the Aaronic priesthood.  And there is another man that I will interview next week.  So it’s moving along.

That’s about all the time that I have.  I love you guys so much and Ill talk to you next week!
Elder Biggs
_______________________

25 January, 2016

Crazy Cool Week!!

Alright, this week has got some cool stuff!

I'm just gonna go down the list here:  Last week a Subway opened here so naturally we headed over for lunch on P-day and it was the best Subway I had ever had in my life!

We have a new friend who we like to call Marley.  He's a super beautiful Lab who found us on the outside of town and followed us ALL day.  Then when we had left, he just kinda went back home.  A couple days later at 6:30ish we're walking in the same area and we saw on the other side of the mud road (because its raining like crazy here every single day) Marley with his mouth open with surprise (literally Im not even kidding it was hilarious) looking at us.  Then when we called to him he went crazy, jumping all over us (which got us real dirty) and crying as though to say "I found you I found you!!!"  He then followed us for the rest of the day accompanying us in all our visits and everything.

On Tuesday we headed out to Fortaleza for a worldwide missionary broadcast, which would be the next day.  Wednesday we all got to the 3 story stake center where I met up with my Castelão peeps.  I also met up with Elder Ramirez (Barney) who was transferred too, and guess who his new comp is!  Elder Da Hora!  It was actually pretty cool, Da Hora is ending his mission here in 8 weeks and is totally trunky.  So it was cool.  The actual transmission was super cool with Elder Anderson, Bednar, and Oaks talking a lot about the actual gospel of Jesus Christ: faith, repentance, baptism, holy ghost, and endure to the end.  How to teach it but also how to apply it in OUR lives.  Pretty awesome stuff.
On Saturday we all received phone calls from President Fusco telling us that we needed to baptize "today and tomorrow."  And we had just about nobody.  No. Nobody. At all!  Anyway, I discovered that the daughter of a member here wasn’t baptized yet (she found my blog so she'll probably be reading this), because of complications with the girl's dad not wanting her to be baptized. Technically, because her dad didn’t live with her and doesn’t take care of her, she doesn’t need her dad’s permission, just her mom’s.  She turned 8 about 9 months ago.  So me and Elder Gomes da Silva talked with her about this and after a super spiritual visit with her, she showed her incredible faith by saying, "Alright, let's baptize her today then"  Alyne, the daughter went crazy excited to be baptized.  And after tons of miracles, we got to the river and baptized her that night.  A super cool experience.  

Anyways, this last week has been super long and super difficult.  But really did pay off.  Which is basically how the mission is, neh?  But after this week full of miracles, a car accident (we ran into a motorcycle and a wall, it was AWESOME), and a baptism, it sure is good to be a missionary!

Elder Biggs
________________________

1 February, 2016

Fortalaza Again…..

So since Elder Gomes da Silva has arrived on his mission he has traveled to Fortaleza EVERY week.  Remember while I was in Trindade I went to Fortaleza like, twice in 8 months...  But its only 4 hours to get there, but generally we have to leave the day before just to get back here the day after...
This week we got called to Fortaleza for a District Leader training and also President wanted to interview me because I was the only one in the mission who hasn’t been interviewed in the last 3 months (because of transfers and stuff :P)  So while I was there I went ahead and looked at some cool suits

I like the grey one better.  The blue one is a whole lot more blue than it looks in the photo.  The suit and pants are about R$300 ($75ish).  Next time we head to Fortaleza I think I might buy it for my 20th b-day!  just because....

P Day!
This week we've been pretty busy with trying to find people to baptize and also organizing this group.  What Ive learned is that this group is about 2 years old but no one has ever had callings and nothing has ever been organized.  A new group leader was called, and right now we're trying to help him with his new calling.  It’s getting there.

But anyways, it’s good to hear from you guys.  Glad that Nilda is keeping you guys updated.  It’s already February, which means just 3 more months until Mothers day 0.0


Elder Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment