Brazil Fortaleza East Mission

This blog will share my experiences for the next 2 years while on my mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with the people of the Brazil Fortaleza East Mission.

I will start my mission with 6 weeks in the Sao Paulo Brazil Missionary Training Center (MTC), where I will learn to speak Portuguese and receive training on teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I am very privilaged to be able to do this, as it will be a great opportunity for me to grow as individual, all while bringing others to Christ. My mission is to share the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of Brazil, as well as serve them as Christ would serve them. I am very excited for this opportunity and hope to do my very best.

Elder Daynen Biggs

Monday, March 28, 2016

Marching Forward! - March 2016 in Fortaleza

7 March 2016

Anther Week

This is what my area looks like (from the Bishop's house).
There is not a whole lot to say about this week.  Were working with a lot of people right now, marrying a couple too, and helping them get closer to Christ. Its pretty cool.  Its sad when people don’t want anything, because there are a LOT of people that just don’t want anything in life.  Almost no one rejects us at the door or says no to everything, they just normally don’t want to accept a responsibility or a promise.  But on the other hand there are some really really good people here that we are finding every day.

As for my companion, he's ending his mission here in 3 weeks, but isn’t very trunky. He’s a little nervous to go home, but is still working hard.  Were getting along very very well. We joke a lot with one another and have almost the same sense of humor.  He reminds me of a mix of Elder Young, Bishop Mabb, and the Brain from Pinky and the Brain.  So, its pretty cool.

Also, one other thing. This week I woke up with a huge bloody nose that lasted for about an hour (the first one I had since Trindade!)  That’s all.

Sorry for the short letter today and my time is already up.  I love you guys and will talk to you next week!
Elder Biggs
______________________________

14 March 2016

Just Two More Weeks

So if I haven’t already told you, Elder Belbin will be going home in 2 weeks, which means he'll be my 3rd companion that has ended his mission with me.  That makes me a little trunky, especially with the news Im hearing about Captain America 3 (Haven’t seen anything, because of rules, but Ive heard some pretty cool stuff).  But honestly, time is flying like it never has before.  Ive heard a lot of missionaries say that the days pass slow and the weeks pass fast, but even the days are cruising.  We leave, do about 15 visits, then return home.  We walk a lot in this area, but we're really liking it.  So, don’t have to worry about me being trunky, I think about home and dream about it, but it doesn’t effect the work.  

When the name tag of a missionary is loose, we joke that he's trunky.  In a visit, Elder Belbin’s name tag was like this so I just took a picture of them, then told him after

With time passing so fast, there isn’t really much to say.  We went to the foot doctor for Elder Belbin.  He had 2 SICK ingrown toenails that were surgically removed which only Mom would like to watch.
Yesterday, we had President Fusco, President Souza (Recife Temple President and former Fortaleza Mission President) and Elder Grande (70) in our ward.  Afterword, I directed a choir of missionaries to "Come thou fount" in Portuguese (It'll be sick), and on the way back, we found ourselves in the middle of thousands of Soccer fans running to the stadium for the biggest game of the year here in Fortaleza.  First thing we saw was a very violent police force stopping traffic and yelling and pointing guns, then we saw thousands of dudes in black shirts running.  We just about peed our pants, but we got out of the way, and also they weren’t violent (I think)  :)

But yeah, that was some stuff from my week.  I'm really feeling the importance of being a missionary these last few transfers, and it really doesn’t feel like it’ll be long that I'll be coming home too.  But I'll worry about that here in a few months.  Also, sorry, Im not sure that I'll be any less skinny than I am right now...  But...  I stopped this truck and asked if I could take a picture.  It’s my current love!

Elder Biggs

PS  I got the package today and loved the drawing that Reygan did!  Perfect.  I saw a guy drawing people today for a lot of money and I just leaned over to my comp and said "My sister's better" Because it was totally true!
________________________________

21 March 2016

Blank

The later and later I get on the mission, the less and less I have to say.  I think thats because in the beginning, its all new, but now its just apart of life.  But lets see, there are a couple of things...
This week, we went on splits (or exchanges, I don’t even know in English) with the assistants.  That was pretty cool, I was with Elder Hadlock (who might be the grandson of Elder Neil L Anderson) and learned a lot.  

Elder Belbin is pretty excited to get on home.  He's sad that the mission is ending and is taking advantage of every second, but is excited also, to return to his family next week.  We've really become good friends, and Im really happy for the opportunity Ive had to work with him.

We had a little fireside this week (actually the sisters in our district had a fireside and wanted us to participate) which was to bring investigators to the church and help them see that Mormons are normal-ish.  The week before I (yeah- I) had organized a choir of missionaries and was the... director? (I don’t remember the right word in English)  It turned out really good.  I also gave a talk about the organization of the church and apostasy and restoration, which was also pretty cool.

But, that’s about all I got on this last week.  Its super good to hear from you guys and I'll talk to you next week!

Elder Biggs

_______________________________

28 March 2016

Killed a 3rd and Maybe a 4th

So when your companion ends his mission with you, you've just "killed" him.  This last week was basically just us trying to not get too trunky.  But lets look at some pictures (finally):
Last week I made Mac and Cheese which we both found very good after 1-2 years without eating.

The missionaries in Limoeiro made t-shirts for the district and Elder Gomes da Silva made one for me and sent it to me.

This week we went on splits a lot, one with Elder Lopes (who bought me pizza) for two days and another with Elder Harker (my DL) (who also bought me pizza).  That’s one cool thing about being Zone leader, other missionaries buy pizza for you all the time!

On Thursday, Elder Belbin had his last interview with President along with Elder Da Hora who is also going home:

This week we had a 13-year-old kid, Lury, who has been wanting to be baptized for a while but who’s mom never let him.  We talked with his mom like 10 times this week and she finally allowed him to be baptized. By his best friend too! This friend was ordained to be a priest about 10 minutes before the baptism!

Today Elder Belbin headed out and my new companion arrived.  And guess who! .....


Elder Camargo!  My 3rd comp will also be my 9th! But this time as zone leaders!  I had no idea it was him until I opened my front door and he was standing there, and neither did he.  It was super funny how we both just started laughing.  We like each other a lot, so this’ll be good.  ALSO, he only has two more transfers.  If I kill one more companion, Im gonna go crazy!

But anyway, that was my week.  I'll try to send more pictures because pictures are cool!  But anyways, até mais!


Elder Biggs

No comments:

Post a Comment